Sunday, September 21, 2008

Did you know......

It takes about 3400-3500 apples to make 27 gallons of cider.

I love when I'm able to spend some good quality time with my friends, but today we were working. And on a Sunday of all days. It wasn't that bad (I say that now, but I bet tomorrow my back will be telling me something different). I headed over to Pat and Randy's to make some cider. Randy has a old fashioned cider press - I was actually pretty amazed at how well it works for being over 100 years old. Makes me wonder if I could buy anything today and it would still be around 100 years from now. Anywho, there were 6 of us that were washing, cutting, & cleaning the apples. I was mostly in charge of throwing the apples into the hopper and pressing them a couple of times. At one point in time Linda said something about me counting all the apples. I decided I would count at least once cause I was kinda curious to know how many apples we were really going through. Well it took 160 to fill the barrel and one barrel was 1.25 gallons so that's somewhere between 3400-3500. That's a crapload of apples. I took home 3 gallons. I'm freezing two of them. I figure this winter I can take it out and have some nice warm apple cider to warm me up when it's cold outside. I just gotta be careful about how fast I drink the other gallon. I don't wanna have an upset tummy!

I do feel kinda bad. I should have gone to Jordan's football game today. Hopefully I'll make it next week!

TTFN!

No comments: