Saturday, August 2, 2008

Mowing

So I remember when I was younger and living at home I used to love to mow. I think it was because I could get my walkman out and crank up Paula Abdul's "Straight Up" cassette and sing at the top of my lungs and not be bothered by my sisters. Also I got paid $3 or maybe $5 if it was really hot. We had a pretty decent size yard - I think it took me about 45 minutes to mow. And some of those minutes were spent trying to get the darn mower started. You see (as I recall it anyway) my dad took 3 broken mowers and made one that worked. Well sorta - it didn't like to start all the time and then I would end up flooding it.


So now, fast forward oh 20 years....I DO NOT LOVE MOWING. In fact I dislike it so much that it had been 3 weeks since I had mowed. The first week and a half were alright cause it hadn't rained much, but man was it looking bad the last week and a half. And I was really concerned that doing it this weekend was going to be a bad idea because it's supposed to be so darn hot. Well for some reason I was up at 8 - I didn't even set the alarm so I hopped outta bed and off I went to tackle the jungle of my back yard. It only took me 1 1/2 hours and it was pretty breezy so it wasn't too bad. I should have bagged it, but part of me really doesn't care if it goes dormant soon. I'm left to ponder - do I pay someone to do something that I am capable of doing (this totally goes against my principles) or do I get a goat. Or maybe I suck it up and try to find the joy in being outside, having my own yard, and being capable of taking care of it myself. I think I'll work on the latter.


Totally off the subject, but here's the pic of my latest cake. That's why I made the fondant a few days ago. I wasn't too happy with the bow - I need to work on those!


No comments: